Westgate Dress Code 2016-17
Our focus at West Gate is on student achievement and academic success. Please help us keep our students in their classrooms by sending them to school in the appropriate clothing described below. Westgate K-8 School’s official colors are black and white with red trim. There will be school shirts sold in our office and at special events. The only T-shirts allowed on campus are the official Westgate K-8 School T-shirts.
DRESS CODE FLORIDA SENATE BILL 228
Each student is responsible for displaying respect for self and others through appropriate dress that maintains an orderly learning environment. Each student is prohibited from, while on school grounds during the regular school day, wearing clothing that exposes underwear or body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner or in a manner that disrupts the orderly learning environment. A student who violates this dress policy will be subject to the following progressive disciplinary actions.
1. For a first offense, the student shall receive a verbal warning, and the principal shall call the student’s parent or guardian.
2. For a second offense, the student is ineligible to participate in any extracurricular activity for a period of up to 5 days, and the principal shall meet with the student’s parent or guardian.
3. For a third or subsequent offense, a student shall receive an in-school suspension for a period not to exceed 3 days, is ineligible to participate in any extracurricular activity for a period not to exceed 30 days, and the principal shall call the student’s parent or guardian and send a written letter regarding the student’s in- school suspension and ineligibility to participate in extracurricular activities to the parent or guardian.
Absolutely No visible undergarments (including tank-tops, camisoles, t-shirts, and boxers)
If not listed below, the student is out of dress code
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT IF A STUDENT IS OUT OF DRESS CODE, THE PARENT WILL BE REQUIRED TO BRING IN A CHANGE OF CLOTHING IN ORDER FOR THE STUDENT TO REMAIN IN THEIR REGULARLY SCHEDULED CLASSES.
Administration makes the final determination. All aspects of students’ dress must be solid and in proper condition (without graphics/embellishments, holes, fraying, cutting, or damages). Pocket-sized logos are permitted. Only the following is permitted on campus:
- Collared Shirts and blouses– Solid, collared shirt with sleeves. Shirts must remain buttoned up and tucked in at all times. WestGate Mustang T-shirts are permitted.
- Trousers/Pants/Jeans/Capris Solid; Black, Navy Blue, (Tan) Khaki, Green or Brown worn at the waist (not rolled up or tucked in socks) with the belt visible (if belt loops are present). Leggings are allowed only when worn under knee length skirts or dresses. Joggers are allowed, but only the approved style and fabrics shown on the Westgate Home page. Absolutely no yoga pants, or sweatpants
- Skirts, Skorts, and Shorts: Solid’ Black, Navy Blue, (Tan) Khaki, Green or Brown; must be knee length or longer.
- Shoes: must be closed toe with back straps. No bedroom slippers or sandals of any type. Heels must be 1 inch or less. Shoes must be a matched pair. Socks and laces must be solid and match. Laces must remain laced up and completely tied. Pants cannot be tucked into socks.
- Belts: Solid color and plain with a plain belt buckle no larger than 2 inches. Belt buckles with names are not permitted. (Students in Kindergarten are not required to wear belts) If pants do not have belt loops, belts are not required.
- Jackets/Sweaters/Sweatshirts: Not oversized, Solid or patterned, They must be able to button or zipper up the entire front (must remain open during class time) No offensive/ disruptive language or graphics etc. No camouflage. Pull over sweat shirts are NOT permitted.
- Jewelry: Jewelry must be small, discrete and must not create a safety hazard or distraction. Piercing in ears only. Earrings must be 2 inches or smaller. Single simple necklaces only (no chains)
- Hair: Hair color and hair style may not create a distraction (i.e. unnatural color or style)
The following are not permitted on campus:
No camouflage on anything, including backpacks
No combs in hair
No Bandannas or hats (unless outside for recess or PE)
No Spiked jewelry or chains on clothing
No sunglasses unless administrative approval is given
No inappropriate make-up (i.e. gothic and punk)
No items made of spandex, excessively tight, see-through or fishnet material
No sweatpants, leggings, pajama bottoms, yoga pants, athletic apparel or joggers or any apparel that resembles the before mentioned.
No clothes that have holes, rips, or tears that permit the skin to show
No clothing or accessories that promote drugs, tobacco, alcohol or violence are permitted.
No Pajamas or house slippers
State Law- Each student is prohibited from, while on school grounds during the regular school day, wearing clothing that exposes underwear or body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner or in a manner that disrupts the orderly learning environment. A student who violates this dress policy will be subject to progressive disciplinary actions as outlined by the Code of Conduct.
The individual school’s administration/designee shall be the final judge of wearing apparel/accessories. They will determine whether or not such is appropriate, disruptive, offensive, distracting, or in violation of health and/or safety rules. No clothing/accessories are permitted that promote drugs, tobacco, alcohol, gang related and/or violence.
Westgate K-8 School’s official colors are black white with red trim. There will be school shirts sold in our office and at special events. The only T-shirts allowed on campus are the official Westgate K-8 school T-shirts.
Wireless Communication Devices
An excerpt for the St. Lucie County Code of Student Conduct, (pg 6) reads; ” A student may possess a wireless communication device while on school property or attending a school education function, BUT such a device must be deactivated or “off” during all classes and other participatory functions. In addition, school board policy states that all electronic devices will not be visible while the student in on campus or school property. This includes cell phones, ipods etc.
Consequences for Wireless Communication Devices Violations
- 1st offense: The electronic device will be taken, a referral will be written.
- 2nd offense: The electronic device will be taken, referral written and the student will be issued 1 day in BIC.
In an effort to limit interruptions throughout the day, parents may pick up phones/electronic devices between 9:00-9:30 am. or 4:00-4:30 pm only.
Drugs, alcohol, tobacco, weapons, and fighting on this campus or at school-sponsored events will not be tolerated. Such inappropriate behavior will result in immediate suspension, possible expulsion for a period of up to two (2) years and potential for arrest. A student may possess a wireless communications device while on school property or attending a school function, but such a device must be inactivated or “OFF” during all classes and other participatory functions. Any disruptive, harassing, or other inappropriate use of a wireless communications device shall be cause for disciplinary action under the heading, including confiscation of the device. The use of a wireless communications device shall be cause for disciplinary action and/or criminal penalties if the device is used in a criminal act.