What does my laptop fee cover? The $25 fee covers mechanical damages such as motherboards, memory, bad batteries, or hard drives. It does not cover the following:
- broken screens
- intentional damage by throwing it while in or out of your backpack
- spilling liquids on the laptop
- the dog chewing the battery cord
- sibling taking your battery charger
- loaning battery charger to a friend who broke it and/or did not return it
- leaving laptop on the bus
- leaving laptop in gym locker and someone stealing it
- lost laptops
- missing key caps
- missing key plate
- screens separated from casing
- writing and drawing on casing
- stickers on case
Also, beginning this year, students with broken screens and other severe damages will be required to get a laptop case. The second damage will require the purchase of a backpack with a padded compartment before a replacement laptop is issued. The Laptop Repair Center will no longer issue replacement laptops to students who have cracked three or more screens. We will also not re-issue a laptop when negligence is obvious. Cracked screens are typically caused if the LCD assembly is twisted, if it’s poked hard, if the lid is closed on an object such as a pen or pencil or if heavy pressure is applied.
Additionally, lost and/or stolen chargers will be replaced for $28 each. If a charger is damaged from manufacturer’s defects, it will be replaced at no charge but the damaged charger must be presented to the Repair Center in order to get a replacement.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Cooper at (772) 337-6088.