Our focus at West Gate is on student achievement and academic success. Please help us keep our students in their classrooms by sending them to school in the appropriate clothing described below. Westgate K-8 School’s official colors are black and white with red trim. There will be school shirts sold in our office and at special events. The only T-shirts allowed on campus are the official Westgate K-8 School T-shirts.
DRESS CODE FLORIDA SENATE BILL 228
Each student is responsible for displaying respect for self and others through appropriate dress that maintains an orderly learning environment.
Each student is prohibited from, while on school grounds during the regular school day, wearing clothing that exposes underwear or body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner or in a manner that disrupts the orderly learning environment. A student who violates this dress policy will be subject to progressive disciplinary actions as outlined by the Code of Conduct.
The individual school’s administration/designee shall be the final judge of wearing apparel/accessories. They will determine whether or not such is appropriate, disruptive, offensive, distracting, or in violation of health and/or safety rules. No clothing/accessories are permitted that promote drugs, tobacco, alcohol, gang related and/or violence.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT IF A STUDENT IS OUT OF DRESS CODE, THE PARENT WILL BE REQUIRED TO BRING IN A CHANGE OF CLOTHING IN ORDER FOR THE STUDENT TO REMAIN IN THEIR REGULARLY SCHEDULED CLASSES.
If not listed below, the student is out of dress code
- Collared Shirts and blouses: Patterned and solid collared shirt with sleeves. All shirts must have sleeves and remain buttoned up and tucked in at all times. WestGate Mustang T-shirts are permitted. Shirts do not need to be tucked in while on campus
- Trousers/ Pants/Capris: Pants/shorts must be worn at the waist. Leggings are permitted only when worn under knee length skirts or dresses. Joggers are allowed, but only the approved style and fabrics shown on the Westgate home page. Pants,shorts, skirts and leggings may be patterned. Belts are optional
- Skirts, Skorts, Dresses and Shorts: Must be KNEE LENGTH or longer. Dresses may be patterned and have appropriate V-neck or scoop neck. Dresses do not have to have a collar, but they must have sleeves.
- Shoes: must be closed toe with back straps. No bedroom slippers or sandals of any type. Heels must be 1 inch or less.
- Jackets/Sweaters/Sweatshirts: Solid or patterned, they must be able to button or zipper up the entire front (must remain open during class time)
- Jewelry: Jewelry must be small, discrete and must not create a safety hazard or distraction. Piercing in ears only. Earrings must be 2 inches or smaller. Single simple necklaces only (no chains)
No camouflage on anything, including backpacks
No combs in hair
No Bandannas or hats (unless outside for recess or PE)
No Spiked jewelry or chains on clothing
No sunglasses unless administrative approval is given
No inappropriate make-up (i.e. gothic and punk)
No items made of spandex, excessively tight, see-through or fishnet material
No sweatpants or Yoga pants
No clothes that have holes, rips, or tears that permit the skin to show
No clothing or accessories that promote drugs, tobacco, alcohol or violence are permitted.
No Pajamas or house slippers
No Oversized sweaters or pull over sweat shirts or hoodies
College/ Military Shirt Days (Every Wednesday)
Every Wednesday, Students will have the privilege of wearing a collage shirt of their choice. These shirts must display the college emblem, name or abbreviation.
REMEMBER this is not an ANY SPORT SHIRT day; it must be a college shirt. Bottoms must be within the dress code policy. If you do not wish to participate, regular dress code must be followed.