The following letter will be sent home with all students today. Please continue to monitor the Saint Lucie Public Schools website for important information:
As part of its emergency preparedness efforts, St. Lucie Public Schools is ready for the rare occasion when it may be necessary to close a school(s) due to weather or other emergency situations. The District has developed a comprehensive plan that would allow for home instruction through online lessons and supplemental resources in the event of school closures. Although we do not anticipate any schools will close, we are prepared to continue instruction to our students.
The District is working to ensure that all students and/or parents have updated email addresses for communication between teachers and students. Secondary students have their own email addresses and elementary students will be receiving them as well for this purpose. Furthermore, the district is determining digital readiness of families through surveys.
Please review the following important information:
Employee and Student Travel
Re-entry of Students and Staff returning from ALL Cruises and ANY International Travel
- If you were on a cruise in the past 14 days:
- Monitor your health and if you or anyone in your household is sick or displaying any flu-like or cold symptoms OR
- If a case of COVID-19 was reported on your ship during the cruise, you must stay home during these 14 days and practice social distancing
- Call your health care provider and the Department of Health (772-462-3800).
- Once cleared by the Department of Health, then the employee or student may return to school/work.
- If you returned from International Travel to any of the following countries: Japan, South Korea, China, Iran, and Italy, in the past 14 days:
All parents, guardians and staff must inform their schools/supervisor by telephone if they themselves or people in their household have traveled to areas that the CDC has deemed to be high-risk and must remain at home for 14 days and have no symptoms before returning to school or work.
- Out of state school field trips have been cancelled.
- In-state field trips have not been impacted as of today. The District reserves the option to cancel or reschedule field trips at any time due to health concerns to students and staff.
- We will continue to work closely with the Florida Department of Health and follow their guidance regarding in-state travel.
We understand that this may be a stressful time for students and families. There are resources available on our coronavirus webpage that may assist you as you discuss this with your child. One example, Supporting the Social and Emotional Needs of Students, is a user friendly guide to support your child during this uncertain time. Finally, check our website for frequently for the latest information about the coronavirus.
Wishing you and your family a safe and healthy spring break.
E. Wayne Gent