ESE Instructional Staff
The focus of educating students with disabilities at Samuel S. Gaines Academy of Emerging Technologies is INCLUSION!
Inclusion is when ALL students – disabled and non- disabled are together for instruction. It promotes an atmosphere of acceptance and belonging with the use of supports and adaptations to make the general education classroom is accessible to ALL!
Inclusion additionally, brings general ed teachers and ESE teachers together to plan for the best educational opportunities for all every student.
We currently service close to 170 students with a variety of disabilities from Pre- K through the 8th Grade. The following is a description for the ESE classroom and staff at SGA.
- A pre-school classroom for students, who are medically fragile, physically impaired and or intellectually impaired students. This classroom is staffed with a registered nurse, LP nurse, Para and the teacher.
- A classroom for students who are medically fragile, physically, intellectually and communication disabilities. This classroom is staffed with a registered nurse, self care aide and the teacher.
- There are three different classes for students with Autism. There is a Kindergarten through 2nd grade classroom staffed with the teacher, a behavior tech and a self care aide. There is a 3rd grade through 5th grade classroom staffed with the teacher, two behavior techs and a Para professional. The final class of autism student’s services is middle school students with Autism, and this class is staffed with the teacher, a behavior tech and a Para professional. Some of the students with autism are a part of the inclusion program, and they go to the general end classroom with support from ESE staff in the general end classrooms.
- There is a classroom that services students with emotional. Behavioral disabilities from grades Kindergarten through 6th grade. Students with behavior disabilities follow a behavior plan developed by a behavior analyst. * Sam Gaines currently has a full time behavior analyst on the campus daily. Students with behavior disabilities in the middle school, 7th and 8th grade are in inclusion in the general end classrooms with a Para professional following the students in the general end tracking their behavior and academic needs.
- The remaining students with disabilities at SGA are inclusion students from K- 8th grade. The students out in inclusion have learning disabilities, intellectual, speech and or language impairments as well as a disability called “other health impaired”. Students are other health impaired has medical or mental health diagnosis that affects their ability to access the curriculum in the general end classroom. We have ESE staff that works with these students in inclusion from Kindergarten through the 8th grade. There is a student support specialist on staff that works with the middle school inclusion students.
- SGA staffs a full time speech/language pathologist who works with the self contained ESE classrooms as well as the elementary students. There is a part time speech / language therapist that comes to SGA 3 days a week to work with the middle school students.
- An ESE clerk works to keep all the ESE students records in order, IEP meetings scheduled and keeping the staff informed of all current beneficial information.
- The ESE department is overseen by two department chairs that share the responsibility to oversee and to assure that all students’ educational needs are addressed and supported. In addition, the departments chairs are responsible to ensure that each student with disabilities’ rights are protected as defined in the IDEA – Individual with Disabilities education act of 2004.