All extra curricular activities are held before or after the regularly scheduled instruction time in order to guard instruction time judiciously! Parents must be able to provide before or after school transportation for students to participate.
Extra Curricular Activities include:
- F.K. Sweet Sounds: Students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades may participate in this performance group. The group meets each Tues. and Thurs. from 7:30 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. Members perform a varied repertoire of instrumental and vocal pieces.
- F.K. Percussion: Students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades may participate in this performance group.
In addition to the before and after school activities, the following is a list of special programs provided to FKS students:
- Morning Announcement Production Crew: The F.K. Sweet Media Center has a fully equipped television and production studio that provides a unique and versatile presentation tool. One of the primary uses of the TV studio is production of the live, daily “Morning Announcements Show” coordinated by the Media Specialist. This show is produced by selected fifth grade students before the start of school each morning. Every nine weeks, new fifth grade students are trained by the student Producer and Assistant Producer to present morning announcements. Responsibilities of the student TV crew include operating cameras, directing action, and training the student “News Anchors” each day. Other duties include creating effects with the videonics mixer, crating script titles with the title maker, and handling lighting for the set.
- Student of the Month Award: Each month a special Awards Ceremony is held honoring a good citizen from each class. The students receive certificates, pencils and ribbons.
- Safety Patrol: The Safety Patrol at F.K. Sweet consists of a group of 4th and 5th grade students. This select group of students is responsible for keeping classmates from being injured. Each 4th and 5th grade teacher chooses 2 students from his/her classroom to participate in this program. Criteria for selection include: good citizenship, C or better grades, good attendance, and proper dress code. Some responsibilities of the members are: act, look, and be alert, be at your post on time, and be a good leader.
- Student Council: The student council consists of elected representatives of the student body meeting regularly, sharing in the life of the school, and assisting in school decision-making.
- Awards Day: Students who attain honor roll, perfect attendance and “Yes I Can” status are recognized each nine weeks. Parents are invited to join.