Mrs. Laura Glennon & Mrs. Lori Allie
- The F.K. Sweet Media Center maintains a multimedia collection to support the curriculum, the District goals, and the diverse needs and learning/teaching styles of the staff and students. The library media program:
- Assists students and staff in identifying, locating evaluating and using media materials in a variety of formats.
- Helps students with their curricular, informational and recreational needs.
- Develops positive attitudes toward libraries and information sources that will promote lifelong use of libraries and other resources necessary for success in a rapidly changing world.
- Provides equal access to all resources and services and promotes intellectual freedom by maintaining a collection that represents diverse subjects, views and theories.
Media Center Overview
The Media Center serves all F.K. Sweet students in grades K-5, faculty and staff.
- Activities during scheduled class times are planned to assure that curriculum objectives and goals are achieved.
- Library Media Information Literacy Skills for Florida Schools are integrated into the program and correlated to Sunshine State Standards.
In addition to an extensive collection of print and non-print materials, the Media Center is equipped with networked computers for research, projects, presentations, testing, cataloging and multimedia instruction.
The Media Center’s fully-equipped television and multimedia production studio provides a unique and versatile presentation tool for producing the daily “Morning Announcements Show” and for sharing educational or research topics with teachers, students and the community.
Are you looking for a good book? Then you should visit Destiny, our online card catalog of the materials you may check out from the media center. Besides looking for a good book to read, visit our recommended Websites for reading and research.
Click here to visit Destiny at Frances K. Sweet Elementary Magnet School.
Instructions on how to conduct a search in Destiny: How to Search for Library Resources
Programs Sponsored by the Media Center
The F. K. Sweet Media Center sponsors many programs that support classroom curriculums and promote a love for reading. Among these programs are:
The Reading Counts Program
- For students in grades 1-5
- Motivational, Lexile-based reading program designed to motivate students to practice reading using literature books
- The Lexile level for many books can be found at the Lexile Framework for Reading website. Click here to be to learn more about the Lexile Framework or to find a book’s level.
- Creates a motivational environment in which students select a book to read from their Lexile. Utilizes computer testing and record keeping to test retention, understanding and progress.
The Florida Sunshine State Young Reader’s Incentive Program
- For students in third through fifth grade
- Students read books from the Florida Sunshine State Reader’s List
- Students are presented rewards based on their individual level of achievement – free books, ice cream sundae, and end-of-the-year party.
- A Sunshine Bowl is held at the end of the year. Children compete in mixed grade level teams in a game-show atmosphere and are quizzed on their knowledge of the Sunshine Books.
Young Author’s Contest
- For students in Kindergarten through 5th grade
- Students submit their own illustrated books
- Books are judged and each class chooses a winner
- Winners are invited to attend the Young Author’s Tea
- A grade level winner is chosen and invited to a county-wide luncheon
Fall and Spring Book Fairs
- Sponsored by the Media Center for students, parents, and teachers.
- Gives students, parents, and teachers the opportunity to purchase quality literature
- Provides a wide selection of books at reasonable prices.
For Further Information
If you would like more information about the F.K. Sweet Media Center, please contact Media Specialist Laura Glennon at:
- 468-5100 (Media Center phone)
- Click here to email Mrs. Glennon