Weatherbee Elementary School
Student Dress Code Policy and Standards
Students are expected to be in dress code daily. When a student is not in uniform, the school staff will contact the parent to resolve the issue.
Experts claim that there are many benefits of a school dress code. Here are some of the most important advantages:
1) A dress code promotes a more serious school atmosphere which emphasizes academics and promotes good behavior.
2) Dress codes have proven to increase student achievement by encouraging students to concentrate more on their studies and less on their wardrobe. A de-emphasis on clothing can also save money, as there will be less pressure to keep up with expensive trends and fashions.
3) Dress codes in school settings reduce social conflict and peer pressure that may be associated with appearance.
WEATHERBEE SPIRIT SHIRTS
- Available for purchase in the school office – we have added a new color (RED) for 20-21
- Must be worn with and tucked into uniform pants, shorts, skirts or skorts any day of the week.
PANTS/SHORTS (BOYS AND GIRLS)
- Solid Color – Black, navy blue, or khaki
- Style – Fitted at the waist or elastic waist
- Note: Pants must fit properly at the waist. Shorts must be at least finger tip in length and may not extend below the knee. Pants or shorts must be hemmed and may be cuffed or uncuffed. Jeans, denim, leggings/jeggings, cargo pants, oversized, or sweat pants are not acceptable. Capri pants are acceptable for young ladies.
- Shirts MUST be kept tucked in!
SHIRTS/BLOUSES (BOYS AND GIRLS)
- Solid Color – No stripes or patterns
- Style – Polo, oxford, short or long sleeve shirts and blouses. (No turtle necks) (School logos only). No other logos are permitted. (i.e., Polo, Tommy, Nike, etc.)
- Note: All shirts and blouses MUST be an appropriate fit and kept tucked in.
• Solid Color – Black, navy blue, or khaki
• Jeans and denim are not permitted.
• Note: Skirts/Skorts must be finger tip in length or longer.
- Solid Color (no striped or patterns) are only permitted when worn under skirts. Both the skirt & leggings must follow dress code guidelines.
SWEATSHIRTS, SWEATERS, VESTS (BOYS AND GIRLS)
- Solid Color – No stripe or patterns
- Note: A collared shirt/blouse as described above must be worn under the sweatshirt, sweater or vest.
- Sweatshirts & sweaters may NOT be worn tied at the waist.
- Sweatshirts with a hood or “hoodies” may not be worn per district guidelines. If worn to school, the student will be asked to remove the sweatshirt and will not be allowed to wear the hooded sweatshirt on our school campus.
JACKETS/COATS (BOYS AND GIRLS)
- Note: Jackets/coats with logos, words, lettering, prints or athletic team insignias are not acceptable.
- Jackets must be removed during class.
- Jackets may NOT be worn tied at the waist.
SHOES (BOYS AND GIRLS)
• Closed toe and heel. Heels must not exceed one inch. Shoes must be clean and in good condition.
• Shoelaces must be laced and tied.
• Shoes with wheels may not be worn. Socks should be worn with shoes.
JEWELRY & HAIR/HAIR ACCESSORIES
- Excessive and/or large jewelry, including charms, is not permitted. For safety reasons, no hoop earrings, please.
- Any hair style, color or cut that is distracting or disruptive is not permitted. Examples: Mohawks, Excessive Hair Designs or Hair of an unnatural color. Students displaying hair style, color or cut that is distracting or disruptive to the school environment will be sent to the office. School administration shall be the final judge.
- Hats are not permitted to be worn in the building.