Ft. Pierce Westwood’s veterinary tech lab provides students hands-on experiences in veterinary medicine. Students have the opportunity to work closely with local veterinarians observing various procedures.
Students can receive on-the-job training in the kennel and clinical facilities. Following graduation, students can work immediately as Veterinary Assistants or continue further education at the college level.
Areas of study include:
- Classroom studies include Animal Nutrition and Behavior, Anatomy and Physiology and Disease Processes, Medical Terminology, Parasitology and Immunology, and Surgical Nursing.
- Wide varieties of skills are emphasized with classroom and lab lessons, including science, math, communications, leadership, management, and technology.
- Student responsibilities include care of dogs and cats, restraint of dogs and cats, vaccinating animals, medicating animals, and observing/assisting in surgery.
- Students work daily in a state-of-the-art veterinary facility that includes classroom space, wet labs, dissection room, small animal housing, and kennels.
- Careers in Veterinary Science include: veterinarian, veterinary technician, veterinary assistant, veterinary specialty surgeon, veterinary pharmaceutical and diagnostic equipment sales, grooming/obedience training, pet store advisory and food sales, USDA personnel, research, CDC scientist, horse trainer, wildlife rehabilitator, marine mammal specialist, and much more!